Skip to main content

Featured

When Love Isn’t What You Thought It Was

  If you had asked me about love a few years ago, my answer would have been something straight out of a movie. I would have told you that love is magical, that it paints the sky pink and makes your world brighter. I believed that love was all you needed for a relationship to work. If someone loved me, I thought nothing else mattered love alone was enough to hold everything together. I believed that being with the person you love was the most important thing in the world. But time has a way of changing people, of opening their eyes to realities they never considered before. And now, my definition of love is nothing like the one I once held so dearly.     Today, love feels different. It is no longer just butterflies and warmth; it is compromise, selflessness, and patience. It is learning to give more than you receive. It is holding on even when everything inside you tells you to let go. Love is pain it is disappointment, heartbreak, and trust issues. It is feeling emotional...

The Unforgettable Days We Left Behind

 It was during the crisp fall season in North India when I landed in Amritsar, the Golden City of India, around 10 at night. My father had accompanied me, as he was there to drop me off before I started a new chapter of my life. We had booked a hotel for the night, and early the next morning, we were set to leave for my university since I had to report that day.  That morning, my father insisted we visit Harmandir Sahib, famously known as the Golden Temple, which was just 20 minutes away from our hotel. He wanted me to seek blessings before starting this new journey. Reluctantly, I agreed. We prayed there and then got into a cab for the hour-and-a-half journey to the university.  As the cab started moving, I found myself lost in thought. It was my first time stepping out of my comfort zone and going so far from home. I couldn’t help but worry about how I’d adjust. Would I be able to make friends? As an introvert, this seemed daunting, especially because Hindi wasn’t my first language, and I could barely speak it at the time. English was the only way I could communicate, and even that felt limiting. I started convincing myself that even if I didn’t make friends, it would be fine. I’d stay alone, focus on my studies, and get my degree. Little did I know that destiny had other plans for me.  That day, I reported to the campus and settled into the hostel. Everything was new the place, the people, the experience. It was my first time staying in a hostel, and I felt a mix of excitement and fear. Thankfully, there was someone from my hometown in the same hostel. She was kind and helped me navigate the early days.  


The real test came on my first day of university. I attended my first class, and as it ended, I realized no one had spoken to me, nor had I approached anyone. During the break, I went to the room where my next class was scheduled and sat alone, watching a drama on my iPad to pass the time.  Suddenly, a group of people entered and asked if this was the room for the next class. I nodded and said yes. One of the girls noticed me sitting alone and asked, “Are you sitting by yourself?” I replied, “Yes.” She smiled and said, “Why don’t you join us?”  I don’t know why, but I said yes. As an introvert, I usually avoided groups, and i that was the only good decision i made in my life. From that day onward, I started spending time with them, and soon, we bonded so well that I began to feel like I was living the best days of my life. Though I was in a different hostel than them initially, they made sure I didn’t feel left out. In fact, they went the extra mile to get the hostel administration to allocate me a room right next to theirs. It worked, and soon I was living right beside them.  




It was the time of the COVID-19 pandemic, and restrictions were strict only two people were allowed in a room meant for three or four. But we didn’t care about rules. The five of us pushed the beds together and created a giant shared bed. It became our cozy little world. Out of the five of us, three (including me) were classmates, and the other two were from different departments.  Our group wasn’t limited to the girls’ hostel. In class, we had one more member a guy. While he couldn’t stay in the same hostel as us, we spent most of the day together, making every moment memorable.  As time went on, we decided to move out of the hostel and into a 2BHK apartment. The five of us girls stayed together, and eventually, our guy friend rented the apartment next door. It wasn’t always easy to live with people from diverse backgrounds. There were differences in opinions and occasional clashes, but we learned to navigate through them. Over time, I came to understand the stories and experiences behind those differing perspectives, which helped me grow as a person.  Coming from a privileged background where opinions were rarely asked for or valued, I hadn’t realized how important it was to be opinionated. Living with these people taught me so much about life, relationships, and the value of understanding others.  The three years we spent together weren’t all sunshine and rainbows. There were ups and downs, moments of frustration, and occasional misunderstandings. But what made it special was how we stood by each other, no matter what. Unlike other groups where people gossip or form cliques, we never indulged in backbiting. Even if we had disagreements, we either talked them out or moved past them without holding grudges.  





Now, as we’re all in different places pursuing higher education, I often find myself reminiscing about those days. I miss the late-night talks, the shared meals, the laughter, and even the little arguments. Those three years were the best of my life, and I know I’ll never find a group of people like them again.  Life has moved on, but the memories remain etched in my heart. If I could go back in time, I’d relive those moments in a heartbeat. But since I can’t, I’ll cherish them forever and hold onto the lessons they taught me.

Comments

Popular Posts