When Love Isn’t What You Thought It Was
If you had asked me about love a few years ago, my answer would have been something straight out of a movie. I would have told you that love is magical, that it paints the sky pink and makes your world brighter. I believed that love was all you needed for a relationship to work. If someone loved me, I thought nothing else mattered love alone was enough to hold everything together. I believed that being with the person you love was the most important thing in the world. But time has a way of changing people, of opening their eyes to realities they never considered before. And now, my definition of love is nothing like the one I once held so dearly.
Today, love feels different. It is no longer just butterflies and warmth; it is compromise, selflessness, and patience. It is learning to give more than you receive. It is holding on even when everything inside you tells you to let go. Love is pain it is disappointment, heartbreak, and trust issues. It is feeling emotionally drained yet still choosing to care. Love can break you in ways you never imagined, leaving scars that never truly fade. And as much as love is supposed to heal, it often hurts more than it comforts.
I used to believe that love was the foundation of every relationship, but now I know better. Love alone is not enough. A relationship needs respect, trust, and understanding before love can even begin to matter. Without these, love becomes a burden rather than a blessing. I have learned that I can compromise on many things, but I will never compromise on respect. Love, no matter how deep, will never be greater than respect. If a relationship has mutual respect, trust, and understanding, then even if the other person doesn’t love me the way I love them, it’s okay. My love will be enough. And perhaps, that’s the hardest part loving someone without expecting anything in return.
One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned is that you don’t have to be in a relationship to love someone. Love isn’t always about being together. Sometimes, it’s about letting go, about loving someone from a distance, about wishing them happiness even when you’re not the reason behind it. Letting go is one of the hardest things to do, but sometimes, it’s the only choice you have even when it tears you apart. You let go not because you want to, but because you know it’s what’s best for both of you. And yet, even after making that choice, you are left with an unbearable weight inside you. You question yourself endlessly was I not enough? Did I not love them the right way? Could I have done more? No matter how much you gave, it still feels like you fell short, like love alone should have been enough to make things work. But love is complicated, and sometimes, even the deepest love cannot hold two people together.
People always say love is beautiful, that it brings joy, warmth, and a sense of belonging. But for me, that part of love still feels like a distant dream. I have yet to experience the kind of love that heals, the love that feels safe and comforting. Until I do, my perspective on love will remain the same.


Heartfelt 💝
ReplyDeleteSo beautifully penned ❤️
ReplyDelete